Monday 14 September 2015

Reading Review #1 LIBE 477B

     Students today are consistently bombarded with information everywhere they look. As teachers and teacher-librarians, I feel that it is a crucial part of our job to help students gain the skills they need to effectively navigate their way through various types of media in order to find what they are looking for. As I have discussed in other courses in this diploma, one of the main reasons I decided to enter the field of teacher-librarianship was the joy I felt in helping students become efficient researchers so that they can ultimately be self-directed, lifelong learners. Since that is essentially my goal when teaching any class or individual student, I am planning to explore the topics of information literacy and digital citizenship for this Reading Review. I am also delving into these areas further in LLED 462 for a Learning Curation project, so some of my research findings may overlap.  
Some key words and phrases that I will plan on researching for the next instalment will likely include:
Media literacy/Digital literacy/Information Literacy
Ethical online behavior
Digital natives
Critical thinking
                I already had these areas in mind for this assignment, but a statement in Why School really reiterated my beliefs and goals as a teacher-librarian: “Access doesn’t automatically come with an ability to use the Web well” (Loc. 171). Just because our students are digital natives and know how to use an iPhone and a computer from very early ages does not necessarily mean that they are using them efficiently, safely or ethically. The older our students get, the more complicated (and possibly dangerous) the web can really be, which is why I am hoping to use my position at the elementary level to try out some strategies to improve younger students’ skills in this area. I have also included critical thinking for a key phrase as well, as this is one of the most basic aspects of teaching students how to use the Web (or any kind of resource) properly. As I research these topics, I am hoping to find case studies and real, authentic exercises to use in the library with my students this year in order to improve their literacy skills and have success in the classroom. I also have a number of professional and pedagogical queries to explore, as much of my experience in teaching media literacy has been at the secondary level. For example, when and how does one start teaching these skills? How does one engage a kindergarten student who is just beginning to explore the world around him or her? How can I get more teachers on board? I’m sure I will end up having more questions than answers as I begin my research but I am looking forward to delving in!

References:
Richardson, Will (2012). Why School?: How Education Must Change When Learning and Information are Everywhere. Kindle Version. Retrieved from Amazon.ca



1 comment:

  1. Excellent first post! Your passion and goals are clearly idenitified and they are directing your research into interesting areas for Teacher-Librarianship. Your discussion of the disconnects we see between access and ability is a very big issue as we move further into the 21st century. I am very pleased with these topics and look forward to reading more of your research and findings.

    ReplyDelete