Friday 27 November 2015

LLED 462 Learning Curation #5 Module 11: Social Justice and the Library

For this learning curation, I am responding to the prompt for the video "Why Libraries Matter" A Day in the Life of New York City's Public Libraries.

This video really struck a chord with me, as I can see many similarities between the needs of the patrons of these New York libraries and the students at my school and district. Even in a so-called "wealthy" area of Surrey at one of my schools, I found that there were many students who needed to use the library resources as late as possible since they did not have access to Internet or even a computer at home... I felt guilty for having to kick them out when I wanted to leave! Similarly, like the very beginning of the video, I would arrive at school at 7:45AM and there would still be kids lined up outside waiting to use the library. Because we are in a school setting, it is even more difficult for teacher-librarians to have extended hours like a public library. I would often tell my students to use the local public library, but what happens when it's too far away? Indeed, much like Isaiah in the video, many students simply want a warm, safe and welcoming place that they can hang out in, especially if home doesn't offer those comforts. They also might just want some adult guidance, whether it's homework help or simply having that reassuring grown-up presence. Students seem to have to grow up much faster than than when I was a child (say, twenty years ago); yet they need guidance more than ever, especially those who don't receive much outside of school.

So what to do? Aside from giving up our personal lives and living at our libraries (which I'm sure many of our students think we actually do!) I think that creating a virtual presence can really make a difference in helping students outside of school hours. While that still doesn't address the internet access issue, (a helpful website isn't helpful students can't access it), having that "24/7" presence is key aspect of creating a learning commons... the virtual space is just as important as the physical one.

When I worked at my first long term position at a secondary school, I made a school library website for the first time and and tried to make it simple enough for grade 8 students to access on their own but with enough helpful information to use for a variety of different things, whether it's writing a bibliography or trying to figure out which book is next in the Maze Runner series. Sadly I didn't get longer than one year to promote it, so I never got to see its real fruition; however, I am looking forward to creating a library website for my current elementary school and make it both parent and student friendly, with links to homework help, district resources and reading promotion.
The link to my original site is here.



After watching the video, I started to wonder how else we could use the learning commons model to our advantage when it comes to providing access and opportunity to all of our students. Since our goal is for the library to be the hub of the school, I think that opening up the space for other programs (like homework help clubs, tutoring and after-school programs) would not only be a great way to "advertise" the library but also give students a chance to use the resources. Again, a welcoming, resource and technology-rich space is key, as well as a willingness by the teacher-librarian to give up some control of the space. Is everything going to be exactly as you left it when you headed home for the day? Probably not, but if a struggling student was able to get help from a peer and it involved taking some books off the shelves or moving some furniture, which is more important in the long run? As a perfectionist who hates visual clutter, this has definitely been difficult for me! However, establishing trust and rapport with your students can really help in getting them to think of the space as theirs, and to treat it with respect. At that same high school, I had several students who used the library to tutor, and sometimes I would have to leave before they were done... luckily I had an understanding VP who checked in on them every so often and locked up the library after they left  My current school has a large after-school program for our more vulnerable students, and I have offered the library space if required for certain activities.

I was also struck by the segment about English language learners coming in with their children... At Bear Creek, the StrongStart (preschool) co-ordinator asked if her parents and toddlers could come in once per week to read a story and look at books with their guardians. It's been very rewarding to watch grandparents with limited English read storybooks with their grandchildren and learn alongside them!

While there is of course no one solution, and we are only one person with so much time in the day, I think it's important to not get overwhelmed when thinking about how many of our students might be struggling. I think that having a school community that works together to solve problems (students included) is a good way to address social justice and accessibility issues that are right in our own backyard. If students are able to empathize with their peers (perhaps like the group of teens near the end of the video), then they are much more likely to feel inspired to do something about it, whether it's helping in a homework club or simply being aware of socio-economic differences that exist within a school and questioning why they are there. In the end, I feel that a warm attitude, a smile and a genuine sense of caring can make all the difference in helping someone who is struggling feel inspired, valued and important.



No comments:

Post a Comment